There are millions of misconceptions about Miami, and having lived in Miami most of my life I am very familiar with several of the ones listed below. Do you feel the same?
1. When you find yourself talking to a non-Miamian and you tell them you live on the beach they say, “Well, why aren’t you tan? Don't you spend all of your time laying out in the sun?”
2. Some people think that since there are many Latinos here, non of us speak English. Yes, my friend, we do.
3. When you say you are a Miami Heat fan the haters and fangs come out. Everyone thinks we are bandwagon fans. What about those fans who started with the Heat back in the 80s?
4. We are constantly in party mode. I know there are many people out there that basically spend their life at LIV, but that doesn't mean we all are like that.
5. It never rains. Tell these people to come check us out for more than a day in August or September and you might notice it isn’t sunny in Miami amigos.
6. To go off #4 – it’s spring break all the time – parties, bikinis and martinis all day. We do have to work, you know.
7. Last, but certainly not least, when outsiders learn of the word “chongo/a” they think we all are supposed to fit that stereotype. I will admit that back in middle school I wanted my mom to buy me a gold bracelet from the jewelry store inside the Publix. That’s all I am going to say.