Now, even though Mellow Mushroom is new to the Miami scene they have been around for longer than you think. Having opened up shop in 1974 they really pride themselves in their humble roots and free-wheelin’ hippy culture. Their mission is simply to provide delicious food in a fun and creative environment, and that is exactly what they have accomplished at their South Miami location.
Here are six killer reasons why you must check these guys out.
1. Their pizza is out of this world. I have had several pizza slices over the years, and there are different ways you can make a pizza. You have your Chicago, New York, etc. These guys are the originators of the Classic Southern Pizza. They pride themselves in creating a pizza crust that is half white and half whole wheat. All I can say is that the crust is out of control. And, if I were you I would order the Holy Shiitake Pie. End of story.
2. They have 52 craft beers. Yea, you read that right. They feature breweries like Funky Buddha, MIA Brewing, J. Wakefiled Brewing, Terrapin Beer Co., and Sweetwater – just to name a few. When I stopped by I got to try for the first time Weird Science, which was done in collaboration between J. Wakefield and Terrapin. This cherry raspberry Belgian stout will not disappoint!
3. Can you believe they offer gluten free pizza? Many people love their pizza, but the gluten destroys them. Mellow Mushroom understands the struggle, and that is why they offer pizzas like their Kosmic Karma, Mighty Meaty and Gourmet White with gluten free crust. Did I mention they also have gluten free beer?
4. The environment and atmosphere is just way too cool. When you first walk in the first thing you notice is this large red elephant but facing you, for good luck of course! Then you have the life sized VW van in the lobby area so you can hang out while you wait for your table. Plus they have murals and local art work all around the restaurant for you to admire and enjoy.
5. They have a self-serve tap table. How awesome is that? You can bring 9 of your closest friends and pour your own beer from four different taps featuring local brews. This is the only table of its kind in South Miami!
6. They have happy hour every day! You can come in between 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. or 10 p.m. to close and enjoy their happy hour. Stop in any time during those hours and pair your scrumptious pizza with affordable craft beers and cocktails or enjoy $5 wells and $7 premiums all on their own inside the restaurant or on the patio – now that the weather’s nice.
Check out my full Tastemade video review below!